VOTE FOR REBECCA & JOSHUA (Team BPP)!
A fresh take on a classic (Sweet and Sour Tofu), this wrap is a light, refreshing appetizer with the perfect combination of citrus and sweetness to prepare yourself for the rest of the meal. The texture of the Tofu, breaded in cornmeal (in lieu of bread crumbs) , along with the assorted stir fried vegetables adds a delightful crunch in combination with the lettuce wrap. Harmony is achieved through the light citrus notes of the chopped grapefruit, a substitute for the typical pineapple, as well as the sweetness derived from the cotton candy base (in place of brown sugar).
1 large grapefruit, diced
1/4 cup ketchup
1 oz of cotton candy (substitute for brown sugar), reduced with 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup ﬂour
Splash of soy sauce
Trader Joe’s Umami Seasoning Blend
1 block of tofu (ﬁrm to extra ﬁrm), drained, patted dry, pressed, and chopped into thin strips
1 medium bell pepper
1 medium onion
3-4 stalks of celery
1/4 cup olive oil for cooking
Chopped scallion for garnish
Iceberg lettuce, chopped to form wraps 1/2 tablespoon of sesame seeds for garnish
1. Combine all the ingredients and whisk them together. Don’t be alarmed by the color. Cotton candy is weird.
1. Combine the cornmeal, ﬂour and Umami seasoning blend into a shallow bowl.
2. Splash the drained, patted dry, pressed, chopped tofu with some soy sauce.
3. Roll the tofu in the breading mixture until all sides are covered. Add more cornmeal if needed.
1. Pre-heat a wok or pan over medium to high heat. Once heated, add the olive oil.
2. Fry the breaded tofu in the oil. Once thoroughly cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate covered in a paper towel.
3. Add the onion, peppers, and celery to the wok and stir fry for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and the rest of the vegetables are softened.
4. Add the tofu back in and mix to incorporate.
5. Add the stir fry sauce and toss to coat ingredients. Stir fry until sauce thickens.
6. Distribute ingredients evenly into lettuce wraps, garnish with scallions and sesame seeds, and serve immediately.