The Woodward/Newman Award is an exclusive honor offered by Bloomington Playwrights Project, started through the support of Joanne Woodward, Newman’s Own Foundation, and the Newman family, celebrating Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward’s tremendous history of work on stage and screen.
It presents the best unpublished play of the year with a cash prize of $3,000 and a full production as part of BPP’s Mainstage season, along with travel reimbursement. Submissions for the 2022-23 competition must be submitted by Dec 1, 2021.
Guidelines for Submissions
We are currently accepting submissions for the 2022-23 Woodward/Newman Award. The winner and finalists will be announced by June 2022. The winner will be awarded $3,000 and a full production.
- “Full-length” plays should have a complete running time of between 1 hour 15 minutes (75 minutes) to 2 hours 15 minutes (135 minutes).
- Plays submitted must be unpublished at the time of submission (independently published is acceptable).
- Each submission should be sent to BPP via email. Send your email to [email protected]
- Your email should include the following:
- Tell us your name, phone number, and the name of your Play
- Tell us how you are satisfying the $10 administrative fee
- Agent submitted scripts require no fee.
- If via Dramatist Guild membership, attach a copy of your DG card to the email
- If you have paid via Paypal on our website, indicate your confirmation number and the email address used.
- Paypal is preferred, but if you can’t pay on-line, you may send a check or Money Order, (must be from a US bank). Tell us the check or Money Order number. Make it payable to “BPP” and mail to BPP, 107 W 9th ST, Bloomington, IN 47404
- Attach a SINGLE PDF file containing your script with the following information included in the following order:
- Title page with author name
- Synopsis (1 page or less). Please list the genre at the top (comedy, drama, etc.)
- Character list/breakdown
- Production history for the play—Include readings and productions
- A brief bio of the playwright,
- Full Script
- Submissions that fail to include all requested information in the order listed will be disqualified from the contest.
- Plays submitted in previous years will be accepted.
- Two separate submissions per playwright per annual competition are allowed as long as each submission has all the required materials.