Ginger and Fig Glazed Halibut on Quinoa Salad with Kale Raabs and Roasted Fresh Fig.
Ginger and Fig Glazed Eggplant on Quinoa Salad with Kale Raabs and Roasted Fresh Fig.
Serves 2 (easily scalable)
Light ginger syrup:
3 x crushed Zin-Zin Hard Ginger Candy. Dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
Pinch of quality cinnamon
2 x chopped Zin-Zin Chewy Candy. Mash in 1/4 cup boiling water
3 x dried Mission Figs. Sliced in half, scrape out and chop pulp. Mash skin and pulp in 1/2 cup boiling water, let marinate
1/2 tsp each of honey, butter, lemon juice
2 x 6oz portions of thick Halibut
2 tbsp Ghee (or Grapeseed oil)
1/2 cup Red Quinoa
1 cup water
pinch of salt
1/2 small cucumber, carrot, apple finely diced
1 small fresh fig diced, tossed in Light Ginger Syrup, and drained
4 grape tomatoes cut in 1/4’s
1 tsp lime juice
Small bunch Kale Raabs (or Broccolini)
salt and pepper to taste
4 Fresh Figs for roasting
rosemary tips for garnish.
1. Strain Glaze syrups into a small pan, add honey and render to 1/4 quantity, then whip in butter and set aside. This is the Glaze.
2. Half 4 fresh figs, immerse in Light ginger syrup, remove and roast in a pan at 350F for 50 minutes.
3. Add rinsed Quinoa to pan with water, add pinch of salt and bring to boil then decrease to a gentle simmer. Cook until all water is absorbed (15 -18 minutes). Remove from heat and quickly seal with lid. Allow to steam for 5 more minutes until quinoa pops open. Set aside to cool.
Just before preparing Halibut, into quinoa gently mix diced fig, cucumber, carrot, apple and tomatoes along with lime juice and a tablespoon of Light ginger syrup.
4. Dry surface of Halibut then generously season with salt and pepper.
Heat pan on high, add Ghee, and when shimmering carefully add Halibut and press once gently then reduce heat to medium and cook 3-4 minutes, or until fish is a light golden brown.
Gently flip fish, baste golden upper surface with Glaze, reduce to medium low and cook 2-3 minutes longer. Do not overcook.
Place on paper towels to remove excess oil. Let rest for two minutes.
5. While Halibut is cooking, steam Kale Raabs for about 3 minutes, plunge into ice water, pat dry and set aside.
6. Plating: Baste Halibut top again with Glaze then place on portion of Quinoa Salad. Baste Roasted Figs with Glaze. Apply rosemary tufts on roasted figs. Eh Voila! Enjoy!
Step 3: Roast until lightly browned 3/4″ cubes of seasoned, lightly oiled Eggplant. Coat in Glaze.
Step 5: Place Eggplant on Quinoa Salad.
Bright fresh dry white. I selected an Italian Pinot Blanc. This one from Big Red has a fragrant honeysuckle nose, pear and fresh apricot flavor notes, crisp palette with apple like acidity. Vibrant. Perfect with this dish.